Thursday, June 5, 2008

Tree of Smoke by Denis Johnson

So I started reading this, but I doubt I will finish it. I am probably being unfair, but right now I'm just not feeling it. My friend Erin once said that she's bigoted and just doesn't care about boys' experiences and generally, I'm inclined to agree. Also, it's (partially) about Nam. Now, I've visited Viet Nam, but this is Nam--the place of my father's nightmares, where he never actually went, but had dead friends return. I've read my Tim O'Brien (and wrote a paper on his female characters, natch), so I don't exactly feel like I haven't gotten the white American male point of view of the war, you know what I mean? And 600+ pages is an awful lot to get through if I'm not already enjoying it. So I'll return to it (because Jesus' Son was too awesome not to want to read every damn thing Denis Johnson ever wrote), but maybe when I've broken my leg and already finished Proust.

No comments: