Monday, June 9, 2008

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie (part 2)

So as I wrote before, Poirot is kind of annoying. Let's just say he makes me appreciate The Pink Panther all the more. But the nice thing about Christie's mysteries is that generally you don't see the detective work--Poirot and Miss Marple are putting clues together while the narrator is making polite conversation with the person who will turn out to be the serial killer. That is also nice because the ending is more of a surprise. Generally, I don't figure out who the killer is until pretty near the end of the book, although I might have guessed it and then talked myself out of it earlier. This twist ending, however, is actually a twist ending. It hit me pretty much out of left field, although the "Apologia" was kind of lame.

Interestingly, Pierre Bayard wrote a book positing that the killer was actually Caroline and that her brother was just covering for her. So the woman is to blame, after all.

No comments: