Tuesday, July 8, 2008

The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz


I fucking love this book. Have you read Drown? No? Really? Visit this link. NOW. Now move on to this one.

Drown was big when I was in college, partly due to politically-correct multiculturalism that dictated that your reading list reflect a little-bit-of-everyone paradise. But it was also fucking good. And, as I was in a number of writing workshops, it was especially exciting to read good stories, stories my professors liked too, written by someone young and hip (well, hip for a fiction author). Diaz's writing is lively, fun, and Oscar Wao is like spending a long week the kind of guy who is going to break your heart, but will tell you a good story while he does it.

I've written before that writing about a book you like is hard (writing about one you hate is fun) and I am feeling again a creeping inarticulateness (wait, is that a word?) and a need to fit all my thoughts into parentheticals. So I'm going to cut it short and let you decide why this book is amazing, why it deserved the Pulitzer.

Junot Diaz on Newshour--double dork delight!

No comments: